Friday, January 18, 2013

Day 1- The Journey

Manhattan in the night
 The trip to Ghana was very interesting. I began my journey from the ATL airport and had a great farewell brunch with my family. It feels good to know your family is rallying around one of the toughest decisions of my life. It really gave me the feeling the being homesick which is something I have never really experienced in my life. I feel so much closer to them now than I have every before.

I arrive in JFK airport right on time. It took me a moment to steady my thoughts that were continuing to race as I was flying. I had formulated all these preconceived notions and stereotypes that were based on no previous knowledge. I just kept praying The Lord would release these negative thoughts to the abyss. And it was like all of a sudden I heard a voice say "don't worry, Ill fix that". Immediately I felt an overwhelming sense of
peace. I knew it was God telling me he would begin to work on my wondering and wandering mind.
Boarding to Accra

There in JFK it really hit me that I was about to head to Ghana. I met this Ghanaian woman walking with her little girl. She had just visited her daughter who lives in Atlanta and works for Bank of America. I helped her get to our gate. We made it right on time. Lucky for me I was in the first group called to board. I sat an watched as all the people boarded the plane. So many black faces...I had never seen that many black folks on one plane. It was the most peace I have ever felt during a plane ride. It was because everyone on the plane was so genuine. People willingly helping one another just because. Almost everyone who walked passed me smiled. It was just a genuine caring for the person next to you that I hadn't felt before. It was Ghanaian culture that I saw and would continue to experience as the day went on.

Airport Lunch
The plane took FOREVER to leave! The Delta associate accidentally offered the $600,000 to 3 people willing to give up their seats. Then proceeded to find their bags that were already stowed under the plane. It was pretty funny because the guy next to me was so livid but would talk so calmly every time he spoke. After an hour delay, questionable "authentic" Ghanaian food, and a Clint Eastwood movie, I was in Ghana. My jacket almost slid off my back as soon as I walked out into 90 degree weather. I met up with all the people from CIEE and we proceeded plow our way through people to get to our van. We were greeted by smiling faces and helping hands just looking for a dollar in return. We were told that would be something we would have to experience everywhere we went in the city. They took us to this hotel called Ange Hill. It is very nice and will be my home for the next couple of days.
Breakfast = fruit &Empanadas


Welcome to Ghana
Leaving the airport




Solicitors selling in to the cars passing


Ange Hill Hotel

No comments:

Post a Comment